Saturday, May 6, 2017

It Was All Too Much

Anybody else feel like the last year has been...a lot?

Almost everything on the news, from the police shootings, terror attacks, tragedies in Syria and other countries to the abysmal election coverage that we endured for what seemed like an eternity, everything was just too much for me.  

I started to feel like this around the time that police officers started to be targeted in shootings, I got a feeling that things were going to get a whole lot worse before they got better and that was BEFORE our new President was elected.  I wanted to write about things and examine them and discuss them but it seemed like there was nothing positive that could come from the discussions, only more negative feelings and a sense of impending doom.  

And then came November.  The icing on the proverbial cake. 

Before November, I was hoping for a return to decency.  I just knew that after certain tapes were released and other things were said and done that there was no chance that our election would go the way it did.   Like so many others, I was wrong.  Waking up the morning after, I was actually afraid of what the future held..a feeling I had never felt before in my life.    

Now, over 100 days later, its gotten easier to deal with.  There are of course many, many days that I scratch my head and wonder if I'm living in an alternate reality, but over time everything has gotten easier for me to process without feeling the weight of the world on my mind and heart.  I feel more empowered to help and speak out on the issues and grateful for a chance to advocate for those who may not be able to do so for themselves.  I'm happy to be back in the space where I can think about things without feeling like my head is going to explode.  It feels so good to be back.


No comments:

Post a Comment